Read the following story, then complete the exercises below.
A man walks into a restaurant and asks a waiter if he’s seen a scarf. The waiter looks for it but can’t find it. Here’s their conversation:
Client: Have you by chance seen a blue and black striped scarf around here? I think I may have left it around lunchtime.
Waiter: Oh no! Let me go check the lost and found.
Client: Thank you. My wife’s going to kill me if I can’t find it – she says I have a knack for losing things.
Waiter: It’s ok, I have a hard time keeping track of my things too. One second I’m holding my keys and the next they’re nowhere to be found.
Client: I feel you.
Waiter: What color did you say it was?
Client: It’s got blue and black stripes.
Waiter: I hate to say it, but I’m not finding anything here. Do you want to leave your phone number and I’ll call you if it turns up?
Client: Yeah, sure. It’s 707-344-7554. If you can’t reach me there, you can always get a hold of me at 707-544-6611.
Waiter: Alright, sounds great. Will do.
Client: Thanks a lot!
Waiter: No worries – sorry I wasn’t much help!
nearby; in the area.
- Where can a man get a cold water around here!
close to lunchtime; maybe 11:50, maybe 1:30.
- Can we meet up around dinnertime?
an ability; a talent for.
- What a beautiful cake! You definitely have a knack for baking.
Synonym = to be skilled at, good at; to have a gift, to be talented at.
be aware of /pay attention to / take note of something. Usually used to follow or stay updated on somebody or something.
- It’s impossible to keep track of time without a clock.
- He moves so much, it’s hard to keep track of his whereabouts.
Antonym = to lose track! “I’m sorry I’m late, I lost track of time!”
Used to describe a quick change. Usually an exaggeration.We can use "second" or "minute."
- One minute we’re best friends and then next you’re kissing my boyfriend? Who do you think you are!?
I understand your situation / empathize.
- So, you think the education system needs reforms? I feel ya.
Similar = I gotcha (I got you), tell me about it.
to appear / to be found.
- Sherlock Holmes was shocked when the body turned up in the river.
Other meaning: to make an appearance; to show up.
- How many people turned up?
to be able to get in contact with someone.
- I called my mom five times and couldn’t reach her, I just got her voicemail = I called my mom five times and couldn’t get a hold of her!
- What are you good at? What do you have a knack for?
- Is it hard for people to get a hold of you during the work week?
- How do you keep track of your stuff?
- When you were in school, did you turn in your homework on time?
- Around what time do you eat lunch?
Quiz Yourself: Fill in the Blank
- I have a __________ fishing. Every time I go, I catch about five fish!
- I’ve been trying to ___________ my mom all day, but I think her phone must be off!
- The best way you can __________ me is by email and Whatsapp.
- It’s so strange how I lose things so easily, but they always ____________.
- Who’s ______________ of the score?
- I can’t ___________ of all the new words!!! We need to review.
Choose the best substitute for the bolded word
1. Could you tell me the best way to get a hold of your mom?
- To call and talk to.
- To grab her.
- To put her in a headlock.
2. Oprah finds it hard to keep track of her weight loss when she’s on vacation.
- She doesn’t have time to work on her weight loss.
- She doesn’t take note of how much weight is being lost.
- She can’t run on vacation.
3. The police were searching for the missing person for weeks when suddenly the body turned up in a river!
- The body was facing upwards in a river.
- The body appeared in a river.
- The body crawled out of the river onto the shore.
4. (Do) You have trouble sleeping after drinking coffee? I feel you, I’m the same way.
- I understand your situation.
- I’d like to rub your arm.
- I can smell you.
5. I’m going to get there around 6 o’clock. Do you mind waiting to eat?
- At 6 o’clock.
- At 6 o’clock, plus or minus about 20 minutes.
- I’m not coming.
Fill in the Blank
- I have a knack for fishing. Every time I go, I catch about five fish!
- I’ve been trying to get a hold of my mom all day, but I think her phone must be off!
- The best way you can reach me is by email and Whatsapp.
- It’s so strange how I lose things so easily, but they always turn up.
- Who’s keeping track of the score?
- I can’t keep track of all the new words!!! We need to review.