and this podcast
My name is Shana and I’m the teacher on this American English Podcast site.
You probably know a little bit about me from the Podcast, but I figured why not share a few tidbits (small pieces) about me in case you’re interested!
*** 5 Fun Facts ***
- Although I was born and raised in California, I’ve also lived in New York and Texas and have travelled to 17 of the 50 states.
- I’m married to a Brazilian names Lucas. He was my former student on Verbling! We speak Portuguese at home because we want our daughter to be bilingual. 🙂
- My undergrad degrees are in German and Global Studies.
- Apart from language learning and teaching, I love hiking, baking and planning trips.
- Since college, I’ve hosted hundreds of big language events. (Language Exchange NYC, Berlin, São Paulo, Polyglot Conference of 2015, Polyglot Gathering, 2015, etc.)
After graduating from UC Santa Barbara in 2011, I decided to get my English teaching certification in TESOL. In all honesty, it was a backup plan in case my strategy to work at the UN fell through (didn’t work out).
One amazing year teaching ESL abroad in Calahorra, Spain and over 3,000+ ESL classes later, I’m still teaching English as a foreign language! I’ve been fortunate enough to do so online while moving around the world and studying my own foreign languages. Yup, I’m a learner too (of German, Portuguese, French and Spanish) and podcasts have been key in my improvement.
My Love For Podcasts
Discovering Schlaflos in München back in 2009 was like hitting the jackpot for me. Annik Rubens, the host, taught me about the German language and culture and became a virtual friend who stuck around while I was living overseas. She was a teacher who, at a distance, had a huge impact on learning experience and life.
That’s what I want to be for you, wherever you are in the world.
Learning foreign languages, including English, can be fun. I truly hope that you find the topics I’ve chosen for this podcast both interesting and educational!
My homes 🙂
The world is a small place. I’ve been fortunate to have lived in quite a few countries.
You’ll hear about many of these in the podcast as time passes.
I’ve written detailed guides of my favorite places in New York City and in California. Follow the links below if you’re interested!
As time passes this will be updated with new information.